Re: Plan on packaging new version of amanda

Jean Pierre LeJacq <jplejacq@quoininc.com> writes:

> Instead of doing a non-maintainer release, I was considering releasing
> a new package to conflict with the existing package.

If the old package hasn't been updated in a year, and the maintainer
(Christian Meder <meder@control.toronto.edu>) doesn't reply to email,
I think it's safe to assume that they're MIA.

It would be reasonable for you to just take over the package, release
new versions with the same name as before.  Just issue a big warning
if the user is upgrading from one of the previous incompatible
versions.  See packaging manual chapter 6 for details on how to do
detect this.

Guy