Plan on packaging new version of amanda

amanda is a tape backup system for networks using a client/server
architecture.

There currently is an debian package for the 2.3.0.4 version of amanda
maintained by Christian meder <meder@control.toronto.edu>.  There
hasn't been a new release of this package in over a year and there are
several active bug reports.  I've been unable to reach Christian by
email.

Instead of doing a non-maintainer release, I was considering releasing
a new package to conflict with the existing package.  This seems
reasonable to me since the latest upstream version, 2.4.0b5, uses a
new protocol which is incompatible with pre 2.4 versions.  I'm
considering using package names:

  amanda2.4-server
  amanda2.4-client
  amanda2.4-doc     (not sure about this yet)

and eventually for the kerberose version:

  amanda2.4-krb-server
  amanda2.4-krb-client

Does this seem reasonable to the developer folks?

--
Jean Pierre