Re: UNIX and ease of use

On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 09:09:22PM -0600, john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> > This is all of course assuming that wvdial does in fact work as well as
> > it sounds.  I still haven't tried it.
>
> I have.  It worked fine, but I don't care for the idea of keeping system
> configuration data in the user's home directory and having the user
> configure pppd.  It's ok for a user to request that a ppp link be brought
> up or down, but configuring it is a system administration task and should
> be done with a system administration tool.

Due to popular demand and several convincing arguments on debian-devel, this
has been fixed in the 0.25 version.  There should be no more configuration
information in the user's home directory, and wvdialconf now needs to be run
as root.  That is, unless people deliberately set the permissions on various
files to allow the 'dip' group read/write access -- a purely administrative
compromise, and not a bad one for some sites.

Have fun,

Avery