Re: why ddd-?motif are gone from archive?

Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

> I don't think that Motif packages (at least -dmotif part) should *ever* be
> removed from the archive *even* if lesstif version is stable and fully
> functional. They are for the users who happened to buy Motif for whatever
> reason. (Like having 2.0.and 2.1 features not available in Lesstif).

For -smotif: Whenever a program works sufficiently well with lesstif
we don't need the -smotif version anymore. We learned that this isn't
the case for ddd yet, so we need an -smotif ddd.

For -dmotif: There aren't that many people having a licensed Motif
shared library. IMHO its up to the package maintainer whether he
creates the -dmotif package. (As long as -smotif is needed the
maintainer is guaranteed to have Motif, so it is easy to create
-dmotif.) That fact that -dmotif is contrary to free software politics
is expressed by placing it into contrib, so we don't need to create
additional punishment.

Some potential lesstif problem: the Lesstif shared library is called
libXm. While Lesstif developers intend to make it Motif-compatible,
they didn't succeed yet. But the libXm name makes it difficult to
install both lesstif and Motif shared libraries. Solutions? Or am I
simply wrong here?

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>