Timing of code freeze and making exceptions

So ncurses 4.2 is out, there was some talk earlier that this meant we would
finally be able to let go of the 3.0 series ncurses we've been using. But it
hasn't been uploaded yet and the code freeze looms. What are the chances we'll
actually get all our curses apps recompiled in time for release?

There are two sides to this issue. It's not fair to upstream maintainers to
ship an outdated version of their software after they've gone through their
own release engineering and made a good release.

Another program that's going to have a major release shortly, which will be a
huge improvement is lynx. They're in the final stages of prereleases and then
it'll jump to 2.8. Still no tables, but lots of other improvements.

And fetchmail too is getting ready for a 4.4 release.

I would consider it a major shame if we put out a CD containing software a
full major revision out of date. It's one thing to be back a couple minor
revisions, but to ship software lynx 2.7 or ncurses 3 would be downright
embarrassing.

greg