Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before freezing Hamm

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 11:30:11PM +0100, David Frey wrote:

> > I don't see this as being a problem. Only a tiny minority of people use
> > UUCP, and there's nothing stopping them using smail---
> Heyh! UUCP is the ideal transport system in countries with high to exorbitant
> telephone taxes (e.g. most of the Europe).

There aren't many providers round here that offer both UUCP and TCP/IP (at
least, not without you paying twice) and since most people need TCP/IP for
occasional web browsing, that's all most people use, even though they could
probably save a little bit (not that much) of money on phone charges by
using UUCP. But I know the phone charges in some other parts of Europe are
higher than here and I can see it might be more worthwhile there.

> With exim I had to switch to dbm databases, since it overwise would
> sigsev in the .db routines, but I heard that this is solved in the meantime.

I think so.

> I had to search this info on the exim Mailing lists, since it wasn't
> documented in the exim main page when I configured exim (is it now?).

No. The file mails.gz in the debian package includes some information about
using UUCP, though not in much detail; there are a few minor differences
between the setup there and yours but it's basically similar apart from them
using a dbm for the routing (presumably because they were a provider of UUCP
rather than a customer)

> An exim-UUCP-Howto is IMO badly needed.

If you want to write one I'll include it in the package.