Re: Game plan for slink, a suggestion

Hi,
	There has been a proposal brewing where instead of taking
 slink at some point and freezing everything in it, we maintain a ever
 changing pre-release distribution that consists of packages with no
 bugs of severity important or higher, and which have been deemed
 stable by the maintainer; (the proposal is more detailed, and has
 protocols for moving from Incoming_>unstable->staging area->pre-release)

	The idea is that we can periodically freeze the pre-release
 (which should be relatively simple, as the whole reason for this
 scheme is to minimize outstanding bug reports); this allows for us to
 release on schedule, and caters to the fact that packages have
 release schedules that do not synchronize with Debian releases.

	If this goes as planned, we should be able to release; wait 2
 months, freeze, test a month, wait two months ... a rapid release
 cycle would make a package missing the deadline less onerous.

	Anthony Towns, <ajt@debian.org> should release the full
 proposal to the list soon (hint, hint)

	manoj
--
 "Of course, this is a, this is a Hunt, you will -- that will uncover
 a lot of things.  You open that scab, there's a hell of a lot of