Re: Woah!

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 06:12:06PM -0800, David Welton wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 09:09:42PM -0500, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 10:07:27AM -0800, David Welton wrote:
>
> > > While I'm sure that this is great fun to discuss, it seems to have
> > > increasingly little to do with Debian...
> >
> > Well...as I am also living the The United Police States of America...
> > I woul dhave to say that it unfortunatly DOES effect debian,..
> > the point is that our Draconian Laws affect what can be included
> > in Debian. Other countries have similar problems.
>
> Yes, but ranting and raving about the particular nastinesses of our
> government is not getting us anywhere.  That is where voting, writing
> letters to politicians, etc, come into play.  If we would like to have
> a debian-political, fine, however, devel- should mostly be about
> doing what we can from a technical point of view.  I don't think there
> is anyone who disagrees that there are stupid laws out there.  I don't
> think we can do much on this list to change that fact.

Ok...good point...I definitly agree there.

But we do need to impliment something to make sure that none of
our mirrors contain files which are illegal in the countries they
are in (it is not part of Debian's statewd goals to perform acts of
civil disobedience against stupid laws).

I do like some of the suggestions I have seen...unfortunatly there have been
so many messages on this topic and others that my head is spinning
to much to really comment :)

-Steve
"Impulse arrested spills over, and the flood is feeling, the flood is
passion, the flood is even madness: it depends on the force of the current,
 the height and strength of the barrier. "
-- Mustapha Mond (Brave New World by Aldous Huxley)