Re: PROPOSAL: dpkg-logger and related

>> "JH" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

JH> Well the configuration management proposals allow much nicer ways
JH> to handle the business of logging. For example, they can record
JH> that they have presented a message once, and never present that
JH> message again in future upgrades.
JH> They can use a common user interface for presenting messages and
JH> asking questions.

apt can bring his own dpkg-logger. When asking apt to install, it can
establish his logger and handle the messages (and pass them to the
dpkg-logger that was in use before installing).

JM> The proposals even have priority levels so you can say to
JH> ignore informational messages.

As you said: There should only be important messages. OK, there can be
important informational messages. He did define different levels
didn't he, so this should be OK. If we capture stdout / stderr (as
Joey proposed), we can define, that informal messages should go to
stdout and the important non-informal to stderr.

Ciao,
	Martin