Re: Time to rewrite dpkg IN IDL! :)

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 09:27:10PM +1000, Daniel James Patterson wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 09:14:26PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > How about "it's complete overkill"?
>
> I don't think so.  Yes you can write maintainable code with plain C,
> but with the number of developers moving in and out of Debian, I think
> that a decent OO approach for core software could make it more maintainable
> for _everyone_.  I often feel that I'd like to help contribute code to
> some things, but, not being an overly confident programmer, I am daunted
> by code that takes a long time to understand.  I personally find OO design
> much easier to follow.  This is personal preference however.

I think a good object-oriented design can be easier to follow too.
In circumstances where there is naturally some use for inheritance
it is very useful indeed. I don't see any natural inheritance in
managing packages, though. I think that forcing a procedural program into
classes just for the sake of it would destroy the clarity you're looking for.

Besides, any advantage in a nice OO design is lost by implementing it in C++!

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).