Re: An 'ae' testimony

On Sat, May 22, 1999 at 07:49:11PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > A simple script that tells them to use ee would be fine I think.  They'd
> > live.  Gods, it's just a flippin' boot disk for crying out loud!
>
> no, it's more than just a boot disk.
>
> it's a rescue disk.
>
> some version of vi is essential on a rescue disk, regardless of what some
> windows using loudmouth happens to think (and no, i'm not referring to
> you here joseph).

No, something that responds to the command "vi" is essential.  a message
saying "just use ee, it has onscreen help at the top" would do nicely.

> > They WILL SURVIVE.  I'd say just leave ae, except that given my
> > problems with it, I would never want to be stuck needing an editor I
> > can't promise will even work in 5 minutes.
>
> ae is fine except for the vi emulation mode.  it does the job, a simple
> no-frills no-features text editor.
>
> the only problem with it is that it's vi emulation sucks, which isn't
> ae's fault...it's our fault for trying to make it do more than it can.

Taken from irc just moments ago:

<Knghtbrd> I do not like pressing up arrow and seeing ^[[A on my screen,
           realizing that it has been inserted into the text buffer!

ae has done this to me.  And yes, it did work fine just seconds ago, but
suddenly stopped working.  Obviously a bug.  A fatal bug.

> > ee is the right choice.
>
> ee is better than ae, no doubt about it. however if there's 50+K
> available on the rescue disk for ee it would be better to use that space
> for a decent minimal vi clone (elvis-tiny needs ~67K).

Okay, let me offer this a bit here...  Do the rescue floppies currently
use libncurses at all?  I think they don't.  Okay, now then:

Package: joe
Depends: libc6, libncurses4

Package: elvis-tiny
Pre-Depends: libc6, libc6 (>= 2.0.7u), libncurses4

Package: jed
Depends: libc6, libgpmg1 (>= 1.14-3), libncurses4, slang1 (<< 1.3),
slang1 (>> 1.2.2-0), jed-common
[why the HELL does this thing need both ncurses and slang?]

Package: ae
Depends: libc6, slang1 (<< 1.3), slang1 (>> 1.2.2-0)

Package: ee
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.0.7u), libncurses4
[Note that ee can be linked with slang, it just isn't at the moment]

Okay, some file sizes:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        23564 Apr 17 10:48 /bin/ae*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        49044 Nov  1  1998 /usr/bin/ee*
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root        65916 Oct 29  1998 /usr/bin/elvis-tiny*
-rwxr-xr-x   5 root     root       174020 Dec 10 13:19 /usr/bin/joe*

I don't have jed installed to test it, but joe is clearly OUT OF THE
QUESTION at 170k.  elvis-tiny would require libncurses, and is 64k plus
whatever ncurses would take up.  ee would take 48k.  ae takes 23k.

Switching to ee would replace ae, meaning we would need to find 25k.
Seems that we have to move to 3 floppies for potato anyway because a 2.2
kernel takes really that much.  This of course requires that ee use
slang.

!netgod:*! time flies when youre using linux
!doogie:*! yeah, infinite loops in 5 seconds.
!Teknix:*! has anyone re-tested that with 2.2.x ?
!netgod:*! yeah, 4 seconds now