Debian CDROM images as rescue disk [was: Re: An 'ae' testimony]

joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr (Josip Rodin) writes:

> On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 11:13:29AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > you are making the mistake of assuming that the boot disk is solely for
> > installation of new debian systems.
> >
> > it's not.
> >
> > it's called the "rescue" disk for a reason.
>
> How did you come to that conclusion (that I don't know that it is a
> rescue disk)?

I'd rather like to see our bootable CDROM images equipped with more
extensive rescue disk facilities like a "real" vi and whatnot like
various other distributions already have (at least SuSE and ?).  I
would love to have the option to choose between a rescue floppy with
limited contents and a rescue option when booting from CDROM (even
Win98 offers this now) containing lots of useful tools without space
restriction imposed by inferior storage media.  Needless to say that i
wouldn't bother about the rescue floppy anymore with a rescue CDROM
present.  *That* would be a very nice thing to have...

                                    Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------