Re: HTML instead of GNU Info?

Info documentation is already available via dwww/dhelp with info2www.

> (At least I think it is, officially.) The program texi2html produces usable
> output which is readable in a much more flexible manner, IMO.
>
> I'm sure there may be a strong lobby in favor of GNU Info format (Especially
> the Emacs people, I guess...)

Info fandom is by no means limited to people who want their editors to be
operating system.

> On the long run, I'm sure though, we should try to integrate all the
> documentation into one system and that is best possible in HTML (Would be
> nice, if more documentation were registered in doc-base!) So having the
> whole info tree in there, too would be a large step forward.

In the long run, we should offer users choice of one or more "processed"
formats (HTML, info, PostScript, PDF, plain text), and offer the choice of
installing documentation in source form (SGML, TeXinfo etc.) and have the
processed formats generated from that.

Personally, I'd love to have .texi source installed so I could build
PostScript when I need a printed manual.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would