Re: What to do about the "Official" CD

Quoting Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
> > Dale Scheetz writes:

[snip first part]

> There was a package (I don't remember the name) that does some HTTP
> package installation which had a pre-depend that caused dselect to die
> horribly. I repackaged it without the pre-depend and did the check for the
> required packages in the preinstall script. The patch I submitted to the
> maintainer in a bug report was rejected.

If you're talking about
  #34804 - dpkg-http predepends breaks install

the bugs is still open. I thing the explanation the other gives you
for refusing the patch is fare enough. It's more a bug in the methods
scripts of dselect and dselect itself have with Pre-Depends.

Hopefully, apt goes well around... maybe one day we can get everything
do intelligent pkg ordering (just like dftp and apt).

> That, and making sure the upgrade directory was available with its desired
> contents allowed me to build a CD that could install every package on the
> CD without problems (with the exception of a conflicting web server), as
> well as upgrade both Bo and Hamm systems.
>
> I don't see this as having made any "improvements". Asside from being
> different in content and structure, I tested both upgrades and new
> installs with the CD, and everything worked. It just seems to me that
> having a process that will deliver beta CDs to testing people can help
> catch these little dangling gotchas.
>
> That is all that I am suggesting.
>
> Waiting is,

I agree that ED is different than the 1st CD. But I really hope to
see you're Debian-Live CD coming up again.

> Dwarf
> --
> _-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian Linux User's Guide"  _-_-_-_-_-_-
>
> aka   Dale Scheetz                   Phone:   1 (850) 656-9769
>       Flexible Software              11000 McCrackin Road
>       e-mail:  dwarf@polaris.net     Tallahassee, FL  32308
>
> _-_-_-_-_-_- See www.linuxpress.com for more details  _-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Take care,

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur                    Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70