Re: What to do about the "Official" CD

IMHO this discussion is skirting round a larger issue.  The need for an
"entry level" Debian disc.

Economic necessity has dictated that I supply other distributions as well
as Debian.  The one advantage that these have is that they are "entry
level"  distributions, i.e. good for people starting out in GNU/Linux,
whether it be in an educational institution, commercially or by
themselves.

They are single discs, a quick rather mindless install and a functioning
system.  I subscribe to a couple of NZ Linux mailing lists and I see
people struggling with problems caused by some of these distributions when
if they had started with Debian ....

I suggest that we consider biting the bullet and produce such a CD
complete with mindless (oops, easy) install and configuration.  This CD
should be completely compatible with the normal distribution CDs which
would mean that people could migrate to this when they were ready.

This would probably be best achieved by a separate team involving;
1.  Debian CD.   The debian_cd scripts should present no real problem.
2.  Boot disks.   Re-worked to give the easy install - part way there.
3.  Package installation scripts. (ouch).  However, I think that it should
	be possible to have a library of alternative scripts external to
	the packages which could be called upon during the install.

This is a very general idea at the moment, and (3) would be the tricky
bit.  After looking at these .rpm distributions I am certain that we could
produce a better product using .deb

Phil now ducks for cover.

Phil.