Adam's advice -> packaging manual (was Re: Free software: Packagers vs Developers)

On Jul 02, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > I prefer ethics and social conventions to rigid rules.  See for example

> Sorry, but I don't read anything written by someone who is a National Rifle
> Association's instructor.

What on earth do ESR's opinions on gun control have to do with
software engineering?  (Come to think of it, what do my opinions on
gun control have to do with software engineering?  Feel free to ignore
this post since I happen to agree with ESR on the point... ;-)

Back on-topic: I think Adam's advice about dealing with upstream
maintainers should be in the packaging manual, if something similar
isn't there already.

I've *never* had a real problem with an upstream author; they've
always been cooperative when presented with a decent bug report and/or
a patch.  (Hell, a lot of them are flattered we want to package their
software!)

Chris
|         Chris Lawrence        |        Get your Debian 2.1 CD-ROMs        |
|    <quango@watervalley.net>   |         http://www.lordsutch.com/         |
|    Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |    Are you tired of politics as usual?    |
|   University of Mississippi   |             http://www.lp.org/            |