Re: /opt (Re: Berlin & FSSTND/FHS)

Le 1999-07-06, Hamish Moffatt écrivait :

> That sounds like a reasonable compromise, but there's no need for us to
> put stuff in to /opt, since we have a good package manager and can remove
> things even when the binaries are mixed in with every other binary on
> the system.

Our current approach leaves one concern open: since we put binaries
for everything in /usr/bin, it ease really difficult to install
any software at all on a machine where /usr/bin is full.

Allowing /opt to contain subdirectories that correspond to additional
packages can be considered a solution to this problem. Of course,
this solution is not really satisfactory with respect to the spirit
of FHS. Does anyone have ideas on alternative solutions, besides
being clever enough to figure out how big /usr/bin will need to
be right at installation time (which I am not)?

Thomas.

--
    Thomas.Quinot@Cuivre.FR.EU.ORG   <URL:http://web.fdn.fr/~tquinot/>