Re: On names of people (was: Re: Please check my translation)

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 01:52:49PM +0200, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona wrote:

> 	Three words for family names are not enough in some cases.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that there is a limit of three
words for names. I'm well aware (and I'm sure that Jason is also) that
some cultures use multi-word surnames and often multiple 'middle'
names. As already stated, the problem is that the Packages files simply
list names exactly as the packages maintainer wrote it. There is no way
we could possibly have a program that will be able to guess where the
surname begins in all cases.

I don't understand what the problem is here. The current system handles
over 95% of the developers automatically and the rest can be fixed if
they simply ask. The others would also be handled automatically if there
was an algorithm that could catch them. In no way do I see this as
being eurocentric.

The developer db should be able to handle multi-word last names without
any problems. As long as developers make sure that their name is listed
correctly in the db then everything derived from that will be correct.

Jay Treacy