Re: DHCP - was Re: debian first in slashdot poll

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 11:46:44AM -0400, Michael Alan Dorman wrote:

   Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:
   > Which DHCP client should we use -- dhcpcd, dhcpcd-beta, or Red Hat's
   > tool (the name of which I'm forgetting at the moment)?

   Do you perhaps mean dhcpcd-sv, not -beta?  -sv should, I think, go
   away, since it's actually been incorporated into the dhcpcd
   package.

I have ITA the dhcpcd package from Steve Dunham as my first package.
Right now there are a lot of bugs against the package and some are
difficult to correct due to the design of the software, which is
causing me to want to orphan it!

   Or maybe you mean dhcp-client?  I've never been able to get that to
   work.

Hrmf... I have heard it is somewhat better.

   I, too, forget the name of redhat's tool, but when I looked at it,
   it struck me that there were a couple of features it didn't
   have---I think automatically setting the hostname was one.  That
   might be important, but it might not.

Steve has mentioned of a package in redhat that works extremely well,
but is only for 2.2.x kernels.  He will have to remind me as I have
since forgotten the name.  I have not used the potato disks simply
because I just upgrade, but if they use strictly the 2.2.x, maybe we
could give it try... I would be willing to package it.

Dennis
--
Dennis Kelly			email: dpk@egr.msu.edu
Network Administrator