Re: Linking coreutils against OpenSSL

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 at 14:22, Pierre-Elliott Bécue <peb@debian.org> wrote:

> Luca Boccassi <bluca@debian.org> wrote on 10/11/2023 at 15:00:24+0100:

> >> I wonder if this sort of arrogant "don't care about minorities" attitude
> >> will ever stop?  Was sort of hoping that things would quiet down when
> >> everyone just gave up on the systemd and usr-merge crazyness. But it
> >> seems the bullies continue on and on and on and on.
> >>
> >> I guess those 0.61% are run bt the most valuable Debian users out there.
> >> I'm sorry to not be one of them, but that's the way things have become.
> >> Not by choice.
> >
> > Having a 5x performance improvement in core utilities at zero cost for
> > 99.39% of users and at the cost of an extra library that is already
> > widely used for 0.61% --> bullying. Noted.
>
> The problem is not the argument but clearly the way you state it, which
> is quite coherent with your way of answering most of the time.
>
> I know it's not mandatory, but a bit of empathy, a bit of caring and a
> bit of "just because I can act bluntly with a pinch of contempt doesn't
> mean I should" would be really appreciable.

You know what else would be really appreciable? Not starting the
usual, tired, old flamewar, with heavily emotionally charged language
("bullying", "contempt", "lack of empathy", "lack of caring", etc),
when talking about something as trivial and harmless as installing a
widely used and common library to get a 5x performance boost out of
the core system. How about we do that instead? Because, just in case
perspective was already lost, this is what started the tirade:

> This sounds great. systemd also uses OpenSSL for various things, so
> libssl3 is pretty much a given on any bootable installation anyway
> already.

IE: a supportive and appreciative comment, followed by a relevant and
objective piece of information. Where's the bullying?