main-dev

Hello,

This is about evolving Debian further, for getting beyond a growing pain.

In upstream sources are many libraries, crates, modules and such[0].
Those files are needed during development[1] and packaged for Debian
for that reason. They are not needed for running the compiled program.

What I want, is to explore if we put those libraries in a special corner
of the Debian Package Archive, something like 'main-dev'.

Having a different kind of packages means we can threat them differently.
Which benefits will it bring?

One such thing could be that multiple versions of same library exist.
( foo version 0.2  needing baz v0.3.4 and bar v2.0 needing baz v0.3.3 )

Actual goal I want to achieve (goal we Debian should want to achieve) is
having various ways to improve the process of getting upstream development
files into Debian. Yeah, currently I think it is too tedious to keep
with the pace of upstream.

What would be needed to catch-up?

Regards
Geert Stappers

[0] to complete the list, additions welcome.
[1] Also for building and reproducible rebuilding
--
Silence is hard to parse