Re: reference Debian package of multiple binaries sharing one man page

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 09:41:12 -0800
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

> Oh, indeed, you're right and I misread that.  So I think you can just use
> symlinks, period, and not worry about .so (although you have to handle
> nodoc builds correctly).

Well, one file with a list like

```debian/markdownlint.manpages
debian/markdownlint.1
debian/mdl.1
debian/ruby-mdl.1
```

where the first one is the complete manpage, and the later files only contain
two line note of

```debian/mdl.1
.\"relay to markdownlint.1
.so man1/markdownlint.1
```

to indicate the complete manpage in the same folder might be equally acceptable
for a small package.  At least it was both considered good enough by lintian
after compiling the .deb as well as a subsequent local installation now
providing the functionality missed earlier.  Good enough for an upload to
mentors and a RFS.[1]

[1] https://mentors.debian.net/package/ruby-mdl/