Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 10:08:07AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Am Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 01:16:37AM +0900 schrieb Simon Richter:
> >
> > For example, any repository that does not list debian/files and
> > debian/*.substvars in the gitignore will fail to build twice in a row,
> > because these files are created and are subsequently untracked.
>
> Sorry, no.  We should teach people to build in a chroot which does
> not leave this stuff inside local debian/ dir.

True. Or add relevant files and stash (which is what I do for non-chroot
builds).

> > Once people are familiar with how Debian packaging works, we can introduce
> > the git interfaces on top. Before that, git is more of a hindrance than a
> > benefit to new contributors, precisely because it looks familiar, but the
> > knowledge is not transferable.
>
> >From my mentoring work I can confirm this sequence is not necessary for
> everyone.  You might have different experience, but I would not subscribe
> this as a general rule.

To add in more perspective to it -- I started contributing to debian in 2019. I
don't think I would have the motivation to contribute further had it not been
for a git based workflow and salsa. In the sense that it'd have made it an
uphill journey for me to know how to send patches. Git was something I was
familiar with so I did not have to spend time struggling with basic things.

Like Andreas, I have mentored many new comers too, advocated them to be DMs/DDs
and I never found any of them complaining about git workflow so what is quoted
above is not true as a general rule.

People who did debian packaging without git for a long time and then had to
switch/use a git based workflow might find it a little counter-intuitive which
also stems from the fact that people generally resist change. But the same is
not necessarily true for new contributors.

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 01:16:37AM +0900, Simon Richter wrote:
> We're not even doing anyone a favour by introducing the git based workflows
> first, because about half of the techniques people know from git will
> conflict with something git-buildpackage or dgit does, and without a mental
> model of how Debian packaging is supposed to work standalone, they have no
> chance of solving even the simplest problem.

I did not have a solid understanding of how debian packaging works standalone,
and had only very little idea about most of the things when I started -- it only
gets better with time.
But I believe I did solve at least some simple problems to qualify for
becoming a DD :-)

Best,
Nilesh