Re: dpkg on other unix

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 10:55:50AM +0100, loic wrote:

> Debian user at home, I would like to install debian package manager on a
> solaris system at work.
> Would someone has a few advices about that?

Actually I have built, and am using dpkg/dselect on Solaris as part of a
project to replace our local packaging system. The only problems I had
were a few includes that needed to be added some sources and a small fix
to flock(). I am now happily building packages with debhelper and placing
them on a local nfs-mountable, ftp, http server for usage.

If you give me some time I will put the Solaris package that I have to
install dpkg with on some webspace. The solaris package installs with the
pkgadd utility, after that, start downloading source right from debian's
ftp and build away.

How much interest is there in having some 'ports' of debian that are only
meant to be overlays to other OS's such as Solaris? I think Solaris would
be the only one I am interested in.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org