Re: dpkg on other unix

I'm glad to hear that:
Ben Collins:

> Actually I have built, and am using dpkg/dselect on Solaris as part of a
> project to replace our local packaging system.

So you don't like the Solaris package manager either... I haven't fully looked
at it yet, but being used to dedian's I have a bad feeling about it.

> If you give me some time I will put the Solaris package that I have to
> install dpkg with on some webspace.

It would be great, just let me know where then.

> How much interest is there in having some 'ports' of debian that are only
> meant to be overlays to other OS's such as Solaris? I think Solaris would
> be the only one I am interested in.

I don't know enough either about the software installation procedure on other OS
(other unix in fact), nor about the GUI of RPM, it's just that as rpm has been
ported, I wondered if dpkg also was (because I'd prefer to use it).

Marcello said:
Is your intent to use only dpkg to manage local packages or use dpkg to install
debian packages as well?

My intention is to use dpkg for inhouse packages, but I expect to deal with
cron, add-user and all those tricky sysadmin stuff. Which afraids me now. I can
make reports if you're interested (maybe it would be too simple for being of any
interest).

(I first have to get an IPC upgraded to Solaris, then I can destroy it anyway I
want :)

Loic.