Re: usb 2

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:47:17AM +0900, nigel barker wrote:
> Thanks Kevin, but these two snippets were from the same machine, only
> with a different usb drive - an old one that works, and a new one that
> doesn't.
>
> cheers
> nigel

Have you tried manually mounting the use drive with:
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media
(assuming /dev/sda1 as this is the most common -- check with the logs if
not correct)
?

If this works, then is it that it doesn't do it automatically with
gnome that is your complaint?

The first usb disk also did not show much 'info' in the logs which makes
me think that (run as root) 'update-pciids' may help. Sometimes folks
hack the pci ids database to force an unknown, newer device to be
treated like a known, older device.

cheers,
Kev
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |