Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

(http://lists.debian.org/debian-handheld/2003/debian-handheld-200303/msg00007.html),

> > > .ipk is compatible with .deb, but if that's true, does the feed
> exist
> > > because the .ipk's are optimized and/or customized for the Zaurus?
> >
> > It's not directly compatible, meaning that you must use the 'ipkg'
> tool
> > to install .ipk packages, and 'dpkg' for real Debian packages. The
OZ
> > build does not support dpkg/.deb, and even if you were to install
the
> > dpkg system on top of OZ you'd have a lot of trouble because the two
> > packaging systems would not know about each other, and you'd be
likely > to
> > get conflicts and/or confused dependencies. (That BTW is the reason
> why I
> > decided on a chroot approach - I initially installed dpkg on top of
> the
> > 5500's SHARP ROM, and it was a huge mess.)
>
> Uh, you can install a debian/ARM .deb into OZ directly with ipkg.  The
> > current ipk
> format is identical to that of a .deb.
>
> I do so fairly often when I'm feeling too lazy to add something to the
> OE buildsystem, or just need to test something.

Sounds sweet, what .deb's have you installed?  Have they all worked?
The iPAQ .ipk's don't work of course, right?  Same file extension but
definitely different format, correct?

I now have OZ 3.3.5 running on my 5600 so I'll try to install some
.deb's when I get the chance.  It's pretty awesome thanks to the
addition of ssh, smbclient, tcpdump, nmap, opie-keypebble (VNC client),
and other clients, servers, and programs that I haven't even messed with
yet like kismet and proftpd.  The things I liked more about the original
Sharp ROM were the actually usable Voice Recorder, added stability, and
a GUI that doesn't scroll upward to make room for useless output from
the OS everything I click somewhere it doesn't like.  Buut I'm used to
it now and it's well worth it thanks to the openzaurus feed with the
above mentioned .ipk's found here:
http://www.openzaurus.org/official/3.3.5/poodle/ipks/