Re: New user install report

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 07:02:39AM +1000, Jason Henry Parker wrote:

>  * HURD filesystems needed to be created with -O none to avoid making
>    a filesystem with 2.2 enhancements (I think -O none should really
>    be the default when specifying -o...);

The latest packages and grub should handle the new format just fine.

>  * I needed to remove modules/gconv from the list of optional packages
>    to install in cross-install;

Well, cross-install was indeed badly out of date, I will upload a new
version in a few minutes. Sorry for any inconvenience.

>  * /usr/info/dir is expected to be present by the postinstall of
>    textutils (among others), unfortunately it does not exist and the
>    /sbin/install-info script fails because of it.  The solution is to
>    touch /usr/info/dir, then run /sbin/clean-info.  The postinstalls
>    then run correctly.

No, configuring base-files creates the directory. This is the reason why
there are actually two runs of dpkg --configure --pending.

Unfortunately, due to a bug in libc.postinst, base-files does not configure
properly. The new native-install contains a work around (removing
/var/mail).

>  * base-files tries to create /var/mail, but it already exists as a
>    symlink.  Removing it and rerunning dpkg --configure works.

Yep, indeed. Fixing this first, the info dir is a non-issue.

Thanks for the report,
Marcus