Re: Installing Debian/Hurd

You need gnumach from www.gnu.org/software/devel and whatever driver you are
going to try (fro www.kernel.org for example).

>  Are we talking about simply re-compiling a kernel ?

Not really, although you can try that first, too, just enabling the driver you
are going to need (the default kernel conains lots of scsi drivers).

If this won't work, you can try updating the driver you need by copying
the file from linux to gnumach and compile again.

>  My understanding was ( perhaps in error ) that as a micro-kernel, these
>  things are external processes ?

The hardware drivers are currently in the kernel.

>  Next, this same box works and has worked under linux kernels starting
>  with a buzz release and 2.0.6 kernel to the current debian 2.1 and a
>  2.2.11 kernel using autoload modules for the scsi.

Can you tell me again which scsi controller you have?

>  The "controller" ??
>
>  I'll admit to being very new and inexperienced in dealing with the hurd,
>  and not so familiar with linux deep internals, but I'm afraid "controller"
>  to me means the scsi BIOS on the card. Do I mis-understand ?

No, the chipset on your scsi controller. You have a controller and one or
several scsi media drives (hard disk, cdrom etc). Now, what is your controller.
For example, Adaptec 2940-UW and WD7000 are controller (or, to be more specific
sometimes one driver works for all controllers that use the same chipset).

>  I do have the advantage of enough redundancy to be able to try about
>  anything, no matter how disasterous ( including destroy a monitor or video
>  card, but not to the point of smoking a motherboard ) and am willing to do
>  so ( whence I get back home ) if it'll help.

No life in danger here :)

Thanks,
Marcus