Re: GNU 2000/03/01 uploaded

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:35:38PM -0800, Albert Ollosa wrote:

> I have installed succesfully "the Hurd" from the old
> tar ball file.

Then don't bother and just upgrade using the debian packages.

If you are connected to the net, use "dselect" and the ftp Access method.

Use ftp.debian.org or a mirror.

If you are not directly connected with your Hurd box, then you can put
the Debian packges on a nother media and install them with
dpkg -i <filename.deb>

> By the way guys, what editors are you using?  It seems
> there's no *vi/m* or *emacs* in the tar ball file even
> before?

jed, vim and emacs are on the Debian ftp archive as Debian packages.

> Also, correct me if I am wrong, if I want to compile a
> program which is in "*.tar.gz" (if there is
> available), is it the same with the other GNU tools
> where I just run ./configure, make and make install?

Yes.

> How about the files that ends with "*.deb"? Is it
> "dpkg -i somefile.deb".

Yes.

If you want to compile Debian packages from source, get the orig.tar.gz,
*.dsc and *diff.gz if available, and do

dpkg-source -x *dsc
cd <package>-<version>
dpkg-buildpackage -B

YOu need the dpkg-hurd-dev package for this to work.

> Lastly, how do I mount a floppy or a CD-ROM from the
> Hurd?  Do I have to use some translator?  How do I use
> it?

Translators are the right thing, although there is a mount executable.

cd /dev
MAKEDEV fd0
MAKEDEV hdd  # or whatever for your CD

settrans -a /floppy /hurd/ext2fs /dev/fd0
settrans -a /cdrom /hurd/isofs /dev/hdd

(those mounts go away at reboot. For permanent mounts, leave out the -a option).

If your floppy is in MSDOS format, install the mtools package from the Debian
archive.

Thanks,
Marcus