Re: It Works!

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 10:43:42PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> 1. When the native-install crashed on me (see below) there was no way
> to get things working without going to a running Linux and doing and e2fsck.
> This was because there was no /dev/hd0s[0-9] to do an e2fsck on. Is there
> no way to create this node before the hurd boots just in case?

Not yet. Please write a "settrans" for linux.

> 2. The system used to repeatedly crash with paging errors until
> I added swap (200MB of it). In particular, dselect did so repeatedly.
> There should probably be a remark (in the docs) to the effect that lots
> of virtual memory is required.

I think this is already mentioned at several places, but I will have a look.

> 3. I also managed to build (using utils from dpkg-hurd-dev) various
> packages but got some crashes on the way. These stopped once I started
> doing periodic "syncs".

The file system should sync itself (see "fsysopts /"). Please investigate
this more thoroughly.

> 4. The standard "debian/rules binary" build procedure seems to produce
> the correct binaries but flags them with archicture "i386" instead of
> "hurd-i386". How does one correct this?

eval `dpkg-architecture -s`
debian/rules binary `dpkg-architecture`

In general, better use:

dpkg-buildpackage -uc -B

Thanks,
Marcus

--
"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>