Re: hurd installation feedback and RE: new tarfile

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999 at 03:34:08PM +0100, Thomas Osterried wrote:
> i want to give feedback for my first hurd installation and problems i still
> have not solved.

Thanks, always welcome.

> to get the system booted was a pain. the name of the device changes
> during the boot process.

Will be resolved soon with Yoshinoris GRUB improvements.

> it would be useful to have more/less on the system after install,
> because reading the settrans parameters (an important new utility)
> from settrans --help is more than 24 lines.

less is there (optionally). more is in util-linux, which is not ported yet
(Jeff Bailey cares, nag him).

> df does not find the correct partitions.

Specify a path, like in "df /" or "df /mnt".

> i found with strings(1) [what i missed too, because it's great for
> debuging] that it looks for /var/run/mtab, which was a null file.
> after
>   echo /dev/hd2s1 / ext2 rw 0 0 >/var/run/mtab
> df worked fine.
> df ond no other tool i found showed the actual settrans actual state of the
> system.

Yes. The problem is that there is no central authority for translators or
even "mounted partitions". The above solution (specify path with df) works
always.

strings(1) is in binutils, you can install it. The cross-install base set is
VERY basic to keep hacks low. They provide enough to get you started and to
allow installation of further packages.

> i have definded a swap partition (/dev/hd2s2 $(add-linux-paging-file) in
> /boot/servers.boot)

You can alternatively add it to /etc/fstab, just as in Linux.

> but i could not check if it is used. there is no free
> command (maybe it's not active, because i have this -unmodified- file on my
> boot disk, too?).
> the free(1) command is not available.

Use vmstat(1) or even vminfo for individual processes.

> /proc may be used (the directory is present, and i found /hurd/proc), and
> i tried to "mount" it via entry in fstab and settrans, but i was not
> successful.

/proc is not used on the Hurd at all. The existence is an artifact of the
generic debian base packages (base-files) which is creating it even on the
Hurd...

> i had a chance to mount (settrans) my linux partiton as described in the
> installation guide: hda1. but hda5 (logical linux partition
> in hda3) caused the system to freeze/hang (successful settrans, but i could
> not read anything).

Mmmh. We need mroe info on that, I assume.

> network is not functional.
> my card is (from the linux kernel dmesg):
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0x6100, IRQ 10, 00:00:e8:5e:85:b6.
> if i remember correctly, the gnumach kernel dectets this card, too. it
> also detects the MAC address.
> but the settrans for the network has no effect.

What does "showtrans /servers/socket/2" say?

> debuging it is quite
> difficult, because the system lacks of route/netstat/ifconfig/..

Yes, those are in development... but anyway, we only have one possible
interface and hence only a default route.

> ping complains that it can't allocate enough memory.

Details please.

> ping from a lan-host to the hurd-box: no response.

Make sure the /servers/socket/2 is et up correctly.

> then i tried to set up a loopback device, but ping to localhost
> still complained the memory failure.

This is suspicious.

> inetd hasn't started, because it searched for files in /etc/inetd.conf
> wich are not installed.

Did you install the inetutils package?

> the keymaps in marcus' keymap.tar.gz worked fine.

Oh, smart :) I almost forgot about them.

> screen (important for a one-console-system :) is still missing.

Not long and it will be there, really. I need to recompile glibc.

> now, i have installed these further packages:
> apt_0.1.9.deb  less_340-5.deb         nvi_1.79-8.deb
> keymap.tar.gz  man-db_2.3.10-69s.deb

apt is broken.

> strings and netcat would be great tools for debuging.

strings->devel/binutils.
netcat I don't know.

> the presence of telnet/telnetd after a minimal install would be fine until
> ssh will be ported.

Again, the minimal install is the very bare minimum to make it possible to
install more. Not meant as a usable system by any means.

> man(1)'s default path to the man pages is wrong. needed to set the
> environment variable MANPATH.

Hu? I never needed to, and it works fine here...

> > Great: reboot unmounts the root filesystem cleanly, so fsck
> > is no longer needed after a reboot.
>
> for me, reboot leads the root-filesystem in an unchecked state.

Do you have hurd_19991022?

Thanks,
Marcus