Re: hurd installation feedback and RE: new tarfile

> > but i could not check if it is used. there is no free
> > command (maybe it's not active, because i have this -unmodified- file on my
> > boot disk, too?).
> > the free(1) command is not available.
> Use vmstat(1) or even vminfo for individual processes.

ah, that's important. i think it should be mentioned in the faq.

> > i had a chance to mount (settrans) my linux partiton as described in the
> > installation guide: hda1. but hda5 (logical linux partition
> > in hda3) caused the system to freeze/hang (successful settrans, but i could
> > not read anything).
>
> Mmmh. We need mroe info on that, I assume.

hda: IBM-DTTA-351010, 9671MB w/466kB Cache, CHS=1232/255/63, (U)DMA

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1232 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       255   2048256   83  Linux
/dev/hda2           256       271    128520   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3           272      1232   7719232+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5           272      1232   7719201   83  Linux

/dev/hda1              1981000   1860414     18174  99% /
/dev/hda5              7446673   7036533     24180 100% /home

> > network is not functional.
> > my card is (from the linux kernel dmesg):
> > eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0x6100, IRQ 10, 00:00:e8:5e:85:b6.
> > if i remember correctly, the gnumach kernel dectets this card, too. it
> > also detects the MAC address.
> > but the settrans for the network has no effect.
>
> What does "showtrans /servers/socket/2" say?
> > ping complains that it can't allocate enough memory.
> Details please.

hurd had problems with my 100mbit card. it detected it, but eth0 (not ping
itselv, sorry) complained about not enough memory.
i switched the cards (standard ne2k isa), with no success.
and i found a 3com card, pci. this one was successfully detected, and
everything works fine now.

before that, i tried to get 127.0.0.1 run.. and i thought it's socket/1
(socket/pflocal)). that was not a good idea, because i los my "pipe"
functionality ;)
i discovered the solution in /native-install, and corrected the settrans
manualy. the problem is solved..

> > inetd hasn't started, because it searched for files in /etc/inetd.conf
> > wich are not installed.
> Did you install the inetutils package?

yes. now, having a functional network, i'll have a closer look on it.

> > the keymaps in marcus' keymap.tar.gz worked fine.
> Oh, smart :) I almost forgot about them.

hihi
kbd* is available as .deb's. but it can't install due to the lack
of console-tools*.deb

> > screen (important for a one-console-system :) is still missing.
> Not long and it will be there, really. I need to recompile glibc.

mmmh, fine..

i have helped me by telneting to another maschine, and using screen there.
but the translation of characters (latin1) and cursur keys fails. it's
nearly impossible to use mutt(1) on the remote maschine.

> > now, i have installed these further packages:
> > apt_0.1.9.deb  less_340-5.deb         nvi_1.79-8.deb
> > keymap.tar.gz  man-db_2.3.10-69s.deb
> apt is broken.

oh. is there any chance to get it run? it's hard handwork to manually check
the dependencies of packages.

> netcat I don't know.
this tool is very good for debuging the network/services. it's called
the "swiss army knife" :)

> > man(1)'s default path to the man pages is wrong. needed to set the
> > environment variable MANPATH.
> Hu? I never needed to, and it works fine here...

solved - man_db was'nt really installed: man_db needed groff.
until groff wasn't installed (at the point of my writing),
man_db.postinst didn't installed /etc/manpath.conf.

> > > Great: reboot unmounts the root filesystem cleanly, so fsck
> > > is no longer needed after a reboot.
> > for me, reboot leads the root-filesystem in an unchecked state.
> Do you have hurd_19991022?

yes.
i've checked again: mostly it's unmounted cleanly.
there are really problems in unmounting with ext2 on /dev/hda1 to /linux.

some notes to the bash problem after the first boot of the system:
bash reads only every second character. and after a while the system
hang. this happened only once: after the first boot. it has been already
described at the list.

finaly, i have preblems with installing exim(1). after some time
extracting the package, the kernels could not get a free page, sais this
3 or 4 times, and then the system stands. vmstat sais, that there is
enough memory, and the swap parition is mounted.
i think i'll un-ar the exim package by hand on the linux box..

cheers,

	- thomas