Re: Installation feedback,X problems

Hi,

Issakov Michail wrote:
> Hurd was very unstable,before i add  swap

Known issue...

> Only the editing of /boot/servers.boot was nessesary for
> swap activation (no fstabs and so on- stange?).

Either works, it doesn't matter.

>          ...but X ,...ooooo ,hhhelp, i can see it ,but i cann't use it
> .X works on my mashine only with
>
> X --allowMouseOpenFail

Wow. That it works at all is surprising for me :)

> I have : downloaded precompiled 3.3.3.1 from ftp.free86.org and
> downloaded precompiled kbd,mouse from Uchiyama`s site (there are also
> pfinet and term do i need them?).

You should not need them anymore.

> But after  i put them into /dev ( as written ) i had no X at all. I have
> tried to put then into /hurd and done
>                       settrans -cg /dev/kbd /hurd/kbd
> (and chmod ,chown)  i saw XXXXXXXXXXXXXX for the first time on Hurd. I
> experimented with mouse this way ,but

That's the correct approach.

> it failed. I have  on Linux :/dev/psaux  and ps2.
>      Where could i read more about settrans ,its grammar and behavior? I
> don 't  know exactly  how  to patch hurd -can i read  documentation
> somethere (about patch in general too)?

X is not really supported yet. We need to do some more tweaking to the
Hurd console
and GNU Mach char devices. So it is no surprise that you have problems
setting
it up.

Thanks,
Marcus