Re: Cleanup in .orig.tar.gz or debian/rules?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Eric Lavarde <deb@zorglub.s.bawue.de> wrote:
> Hi Onkar,
>
> Onkar Shinde wrote:
>>
>> What is wrong with cleaning up prebuilt jar files in clean target in
>> debian/rules? If you use this approach you don't have to repack the
>> upstream tarball every time there is a new version.
>> Is there any policy against this approach? If yes, can you please
>> point me to it?
>
> I'm not sure there is any *explicit* policy against this, but the definition
> of the clean target is that it brings the build environment in the same
> state as it was before the build. Well, before the build, the jars were
> there... So, basically, you land in a confusing (because not done in any
> other package) and undefined state, not to think about problems you might
> get with diffs on binary files.
> I think it would be a no-go for any mentoring DD (something I am not).

If there is no policy about this then I guess this good time to have one.
Because I am always told (in #ubuntu-motu) to keep the orig.tar.gz as
close as possible to upstream tarball and hence use clean target to
delete jar files.

I am still learning lot of things about packaging so I would like to
get habituated to right approach. And if the approach is backed by a
policy then even better.

Onkar