Re: [LCFC] templates://xorg/{xserver-xorg.templates,x11-common.templates}

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:03:13AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> This is the last call for comments for the review of debconf
> templates for xorg.
>
> The reviewed templates will be sent on Friday, April 06, 2007 to the package
> maintainer as a bug report and a mail will be sent to this list with
> "[BTS]" as a subject tag.

Hmm, well, it's still 6 April in *my* time zone, but I did notice one
thing.

>   - vbe   : support for VESA BIOS Extensions. Allows to query
>             the monitor capabilities via the video card;
>   - ddc   : support for Data Display Channel, respectively. Allows to query
>             the monitor capabilities via the video card;

"Allows to" is bad English[1].

Better:

* "Allows one to query"
* "Allows querying of"

My preference:

* "Enables querying of"

[1] "to allow" nearly always takes a direct object.  Exception are when it
is used as a participial or gerund, e.g., "That's not allowed." or "We'll
release etch on schedule, the RC bug count allowing."

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The Rehnquist Court has never
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     encountered a criminal statute it