Re: PCMCIA oddities with 2.2.15 on TP 760ED

Nate,

  I have to admit I don't quite remember what I did to fix this
  problem on my laptop.  Shame on me.  But here are some pointers:

  - You have tried minicom, right?
  - You have compiled the serial support as module and it is along
    with the pcmcia modules loaded upon insertion of the modem?
  - You have ppp compiled as module and it's loaded when you try
    dialing in? (check /sbin/lsmod)
  - You have checked that the kernel doesn't complain?  (check
    logfiles for syslog, kernel, debug).  Maybe it doesn't find your
    modules.

  - You told serialconf to leave your second serial port alone?
  Ok, this is where I edited the startup scripts (in init.d) to no
  longer autoprobe, but set the settings for ttyS0.  I don't touch
  ttyS1, that's under the control of the pcmcia card.

  - You didn't change the settings of the serial port by any chance?
    I assume you can also en/disable them, turn on IR instead etc.

Reference points from my system:

"setserial -bg /dev/ttyS?" called by user:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied

and here it is called by root:
/dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x13f8 (irq = 2) is a 16550A

Odd, but ok.

Note that I also have the following line in /etc/modutils/local:
alias char-major-108 ppp
(You may or may not need this, again, the logfiles are your friends.)

Let us know how it works...
  -tom

--
mailto:tov@ece.cmu.edu (Tom Vogels)   Tel: (412) 268-6638   FAX: -3204