A few problems with my Gateway Laptop

I've had linux on my laptop for a few weeks and have had no major
problems (except this morning after trying KDE's GUI LILO config prog,
doh!!)

There are three little things that aren't working and I wish they did.

First: DHCP
 I tried and tried to get it to run with pcmcia utils, and
even tried by hand but nothing worked.
I was using dhcpcd which I got from the stable
update page.
I'm now using netenv, but it would be nice if that would
have worked. I couldn't even find any logs of anything on what the problem
was.

Second: poweroff and halt -p
don't work, they shutdown and then say poweroff, and it doesn't do anything after.
 I have compiled my kernel for apm, and installed apmd, and I can suspend
 and set on it standby  and come back just fine.

Third: sound
I have kernel 2.2.12 , which contains drivers for my sound card (Windows
lists it as a NeoMagic 3d, but I've got it to work with OPL3-SAx
driver.
However the volume is extremely low, I have to use aumix to set it as high
as possible, use the dial to turn it as high as possible and I get about
medium, medium low sound, however the system beep is louder so, I can't
stand to have it that high.

Any comments or sugestion for any of these would be welcome, and of course
they all work under windows, (well as well as anything can under windows).

One final thing, are there any good free video players for linux, I tried
xanim (2.70.7.0-3) with a mpeg, and it was choppy, missed parts of the
picture and gave a bunch of MPEG errors.
I d/l mpegtv from the web, and it works great, except it is shareware. I'd
prefer something free (RMS free), if possible, if not maybe a better
version of xanim (which is at 2.8*, but there was no slink packages, and
was to tired to edit a makefile last night)

--
Clint Brubakken
Developer, Computer Science Services Group, LLC

  -- Chris DiBona on neo-renassaince Homo Heileinias Eric S. Raymond. (Open
Sources, 1999 O'Reilly and Associates)