Re: A few problems with my Gateway Laptop

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 05:24:18PM -0500, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:
> I've had linux on my laptop for a few weeks and have had no major
> problems (except this morning after trying KDE's GUI LILO config prog,
> doh!!)
>
> There are three little things that aren't working and I wish they did.
>
> First: DHCP
>  I tried and tried to get it to run with pcmcia utils, and
> even tried by hand but nothing worked.
> I was using dhcpcd which I got from the stable
> update page.
> I'm now using netenv, but it would be nice if that would
> have worked. I couldn't even find any logs of anything on what the problem
> was.

No problem here ... (Based on Slink) i installed

(flo@paradigm)~# dpkg --list | grep dhcp
ii  dhcpcd-sv       1.3.16-1       Sergei Viznyuk's DHCP client for 2.1.x kerne

Problem here is that i am using pcmcia-cs 3.1 (selfmade) probably the bug
comes from there ...

In /etc/pcmcia/network.opts i set DHCP=y and then i had to do a link
from

(flo@paradigm)~# ls -la /sbin/dhcpcd
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           21 Sep 19 02:42 /sbin/dhcpcd -> ../usr/sbin/dhcpcd-sv

Otherwise the pcmcia utils wont find the dhcpd ... Then i additionally removed
the /etc/(init.d|rcX.d)/dhcp scripts as these are not needed as the
pcmcia network scripts start the dhcpd itself.

> Second: poweroff and halt -p
> don't work, they shutdown and then say poweroff, and it doesn't do anything after.
>  I have compiled my kernel for apm, and installed apmd, and I can suspend
>  and set on it standby  and come back just fine.

Compile in APM support with poweroff ... Works here  ...

With the sound thing - Try alsa - I had best success on any hardware
till now ...

Flo
PS: Hardware here: ThinkPad 390, Xircom Realport 10/100 + Modem, ESS Based
    Sound card.
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is