Re: A few problems with my Gateway Laptop

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 05:24:18PM -0500, Clint A. Brubakken wrote:
> I've had linux on my laptop for a few weeks and have had no major
> problems (except this morning after trying KDE's GUI LILO config prog,
> doh!!)
>
> There are three little things that aren't working and I wish they did.
>
> First: DHCP
>  I tried and tried to get it to run with pcmcia utils, and
> even tried by hand but nothing worked.
> I was using dhcpcd which I got from the stable
> update page.
> I'm now using netenv, but it would be nice if that would
> have worked. I couldn't even find any logs of anything on what the problem
> was.

Well I will take a stab at this one.  Since I run a stinkpad, I know
nothing about the other problems.

I presume you are trying to run a dhcp client.  If you are trying to
implement a host, you have to hack on the conf file for it.  For a
client though, I used straight dhcpcd for quite some time until I went
to a 2.2 kernel.  With that you need to add dhcpcd-sv.  There is an
alternative to both, the pump package (from redhat) that I have seen
work here.  But I keep having to zap it and revert to dhcpcd and
dhcpcd-sv in order to get connected. Ah, yes, you may need to tell the
device: IFACE=eth0 in /etc/dhcpcd/config.

PS:  To h___ with those gui progs and other things that you cannot tell
what they are doing!  About the most automation I wanna see is dpkg from
the command line :-)

HTH... DaveW
--
dwiebold@dazel.com . . . . . . This computer is running Debian/GNU Linux!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.