Re: eth0: startup messages - pseudo newbie

Drew Parsons <dfparsons@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> > There is an option in the apm configuration or the pcmcia utils
> > nowadays that restarts the pcmcia after sleep mode automatically.
>
> I couldn't see an option for that.  Should that be one of the kernel
> compilation options when you do make menuconfig?  I'm still using

No, its not a kernel or module option. Its in the pcmcia-cs package.

>From /var/lib/dpkg/info/pcmcia-cs.postinst:

. Newer version of Debian's apmd package allow the system administrator to
. automatically run arbitrary scripts when the system is brought to and from
. a suspended state.  While the PCMCIA modules provide APM support (that is,
. they are supposed to detect through the kernel when the system is being
. suspend and when it is brought back from a suspended state), this does
. not work on some computers.  Furthermore, certain cards, most notably
. SCSI cards, cannot recover from a suspend/resume cycle.  Therefore, it
. is recommended to automatically eject these cards when the system is
. suspended.
.
. You now have three options:
. 1) You can use a script to automatically suspend/resume your PCMCIA
.    cards during a APM suspend event.
. 2) You can use a script to automatically eject/insert your PCMCIA cards
.    during a APM suspend event.  (Note that this will break any connections
.    established by network cards.)
. 3) You can do nothing; that is, let the PCMCIA modules' APM support
.    handle card suspend/resume events.
.
. Unless you know that your system cannot adequately handle APM
. suspend/resume events on its own, you should choose option 3.  If you
. decide later that you need to automatically suspend/resume your PCMCIA
. cards with a script you should modify the /etc/pcmcia/apm.opts file so
. that it contains the following line:
.     APM=suspend

> kernel 2.0.36 on slink.  Are you referring to the pcmcia modules for
> the 2.2 kernels? I've been nervous about upgrading to 2.2 because of
> the bugs still in potato.

I´m using potato on all my maschines without problems and the 2.2.x
kernels are a must I would say. My soundcard, my tft display
(framebuffer driven), my complete alpha, the ipchains and so on come
to my mind. :)

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin