Zope Public License

Hi,

I'm looking around at some technologies I could incorporate into the
next generation of dwww.  I want it to be very modular - so python
seems like it might be a nice fit to implement it with.  I ran across
the Debian packages of the bobo system - and although I haven't tried
it yet, it does look interesting.

The people who wrote bobo, Digital Creations (www.digicool.com), are
merging bobo with another product of theirs to create "Zope"
(www.zope.org).  It was mentioned in the Linux Weekly News this week.

They have developed a new "Open Source" Zope Public License (ZPL)
which they are requesting comments on.  I'll attach it to the end of
this message.

  http://www.zope.org/License

It's got an advertising clause, and an even more intrusive
"Attribution" clause where they require users of the software to link
to their site using a button.

Personally, I don't think that's good enough - but I'd like to get
some more opinions before I write to them.

They haven't finalized the license yet, so now is the best time to
contact them.

Cheers,

 - Jim

Zope Public License (ZPL) Version 0.9.4
---------------------------------------

Copyright (c) Digital Creations.  All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

1. Redistributions in source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in
   the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
   distribution.

3. Any use, including use of the Zope software to operate a website,
   must either comply with the terms described below under
   "Attribution" or alternatively secure a separate license from
   Digital Creations.

4. All advertising materials, documentation, or technical papers
   mentioning features derived from or use of this software must
   display the following acknowledgement:

     "This product includes software developed by Digital Creations
     for use in the Z Object Publishing Environment
     (http://www.zope.org/)."

5. Names associated with Zope or Digital Creations must not be used to
   endorse or promote products derived from this software without
   prior written permission from Digital Creations.

6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
   acknowledgment:

     "This product includes software developed by Digital Creations
     for use in the Z Object Publishing Environment
     (http://www.zope.org/)."

7. Modifications are encouraged but must be packaged separately as
   patches to official Zope releases.  Distributions that do not
   clearly separate the patches from the original work must be clearly
   labeled as unofficial distributions.

Disclaimer

  THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY DIGITAL CREATIONS ``AS IS'' AND ANY
  EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
  IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
  PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL DIGITAL CREATIONS OR ITS
  CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
  SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
  LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
  USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
  ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
  OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT
  OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
  SUCH DAMAGE.

Attribution

  Individuals or organizations using this software as a web site must
  provide attribution by placing the accompanying "button" and a link
  to the accompanying "credits page" on the website's main entry
  point.  In cases where this placement of attribution is not
  feasible, a separate arrangment must be concluded with Digital
  Creations.  Those using the software for purposes other than web
  sites must provide a corresponding attribution in locations that
  include a copyright using a manner best suited to the application
  environment.

This software consists of contributions made by Digital Creations and
many individuals on behalf of Digital Creations.  Specific
attributions are listed in the accompanying credits file.