Re: Corel's apt frontend

On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 01:41:19PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> For the case of U.S. copyright law dynamic linking not explicitly provided
> for in the license is a fair use issue, not a "this isn't covered by
> copyright law" issue.

I know nothing of US copyright law except that it and Finnish copyright
law are based on the same international treaty (the Berne convention).
As I understand it, fair use cannot *ever* be a candidate in this
situation: fair use it about allowing scholarly citation, commentary
and learning.  Dynamic linking is none of these things.

Fair use is covered in the Copyright Myths FAQ.  Here's an excerpt:

        The "fair use" exemption to copyright law was created to allow
        things such as commentary, parody, news reporting, research and
        education about copyrighted works without the permission of the
        author.  Intent, and damage to the commercial value of the
        work are important considerations.  Are you reproducing an
        article from the New York Times because you needed to in order
        to criticise the quality of the New York Times, or because you
        couldn't find time to write your own story, or didn't want your
        readers to have to pay to log onto the online services with the
        story or buy a copy of the paper?  The former is probably fair
        use, the latter probably aren't.

                                  ""
                             (John Cage)