Re: is this free?

On Thu, Nov 25, 1999 at 11:56:57AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 09:03:32PM +0100, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > What i thought was :
> > - if im not free to mix the code with other code it is not
> >   fully free
>
> You are free to mix the code with other code, though. All DFSG free
> licenses allow modification, which is exactly that. The only licenses
> which allows you to freely mix the code with any other code regardless
> of license are the BSD and X and related licenses.

No; some packages can only be modified one-way.  They allow incorporation
of foreign code, but they do not allow snippets of themselves to be used
in other packages, without extreme measures (such as copying the entire
package and supplying a diff that removes everything except the snippet).

I do not consider packages under such licenses to be free.

Richard Braakman