Re: XFree86 problems on an Indy

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 08:58:48PM +0200, Manuel Estrada Sainz wrote:
>  	o With the prebuilt kernel (from ftp.rfc822.org) over time (a day or
> 	  so) and heavy load (a kernel build) I get masive filesystem
> 	  corruption, so I am going diskless for now (it seams that the new
> 	  kernel from cvs also has problems with this).
> 	  In case this helps, this happend on the second scsi disk of a single
> 	  controler, kernel output:

This is a known bug in the kernel scsi driver happening with multiple disks
on the same controller. There is normally not much filesystem corruption
going on although it looks like ( It seems read is broken not write )

> 	o I am getting strange console behavior with my home built kernel from
> 	  latest sgi cvs (mostly sure this is my fault).
>
> 	    I don't get any output from the boot scripts, the last message I
> 	    see on the little blue square is: Freeing unused kernel memory:...
> 	    And the next thing I see is a login prompt and the top left
> 	    corner. Is console output going somewhere else? Should I change
> 	    /dev/console?

Probably your console setting is wrong - /dev/console should be char
device major 5 minor 1 and definitly not a symlink.

> 	o OSLoadOptions just rembers the first 12 chars of its contents when
> 	  rebooting, but SystemPartition remembers 35 without problem. I know
> 	  that this is probably the know issue, but how can I give the kernel
> 	  parameters if they don't feet?
> 	  Maybe I could unset some variables to free some memory or use
> 	  OSLoadPartition to pass some parameters.

This is a limitation in the SGI Prom - This is only true on some prom
versions and machines. There is no solution to this.

> 	o I compiled the kernel with the cross devel rpm packages at sgi, is
> 	  that ok or what gcc/binutils should I use? Is it ok to build the
> 	  kernel with gcc-2.95.4 natively?

I guess so - YMMV

Flo