Re: Forge packages recompiled against Octave 5 no longer depend on liboctave7

Le jeudi 03 octobre 2019 à 15:24 +0200, Rafael Laboissière a écrit :
> * Rafael Laboissière <rafael@debian.org> [2019-10-02 09:27]:
> > * Mike Miller <mtmiller@debian.org> [2019-10-01 14:34]:
> >
> > > Maybe instead of a dependency on a specific liboctaveN, we could
> > > have dh-octave inject dependencies on "octave (>= 5.1~), octave (<<
> > > 6)"? This is essentially the stability promise we are aiming to
> > > provide now upstream.
> >
> > Would this be enough? What will happen if, in the 5.2 release, the
> > soname is bumped from liboctave7 to liboctave8?
>
> Another possibility is to have dh-octave injecting the specific
> liboctaveN dependency, according to the version of octave used to
> build the package.  What do you think?

I don’t think injecting an artificial liboctaveN dependency is a very
good solution, because it violates the usual assumptions about
dependencies on shared libraries, and it goes against upstream’s will
to eliminate this dependency.

Nevertheless, I think we’ll have to design something along similar
lines. Either adding versioned dependencies against Octave as Mike
suggested, or introducing a virtual ABI package as is for example done
for R.

However, may I suggest that we postpone that work for later, and that
for the time being we focus on completing the Octave 5 transition?
Other transitions are waiting for ours to complete, and there are about
16 packages (inside and outside the DOG) currently failing to compile
against Octave 5.

Cheers,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot