Re: Distribution of license documents (fwd)

Marcus writes:
> The license applies to the software it copyrights.

The license grant (an abstraction) applies to the software to which it
grants rights.  The license document represents this abstraction.

> If I apply the GPL to my work, this work is copyrighted under the terms
> of the GPL. If any other instances (=copies) of the GPL vanish from the
> world, there is still the GPL applied to my work.

If every copy of the GPL vanishes from the world, the GPL still applies to
your work, and no one would be able to legally distribute it (though
proving infringement would meet with technical difficulties).

> The GPL itself does not apply to any work in special, but it *is* applied
> by authors to their work.

The GPL is a license document which embodies the license under which many
authors have published their works.  The document itself stands alone: it
makes no specific reference to any work other than itself.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)