Re: /usr/X11R6

Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:

> Wouldn't bother me if we whacked /usr/X11R6 altogether and just moved all
> its stuff into the FHS-compliant places, and left behind the appropriate
> symlinks.

Sounds like a cool idea to me.  Let's do it!

I have a strange feeling that this might be a popular move.  When I
was a new user, I couldn't fathom why all the X stuff was located
elsewhere.

I haven't really found anybody that really has a strong argument why
X11 should be segregated off into it's own heirarchy (other than the
fact that it is the traditional location).

One argument I've heard is that it makes disk partitioning easier
(ie. /usr/X11R6 can be split off to another partition) - but that's
not a strong argument, IMHO.

> I have no idea if/how this would break existing stuff, though.

I don't see why if should break stuff - especially if we leave behind
symlinks.

Cheers,

 - Jim