Re: /usr/X11R6

Hi,
>>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

 Jim> Branden Robinson <branden@purdue.edu> writes:

 >> Wouldn't bother me if we whacked /usr/X11R6 altogether and just moved all
 >> its stuff into the FHS-compliant places, and left behind the appropriate
 >> symlinks.

 Jim> Sounds like a cool idea to me.  Let's do it!

	Such a move would, in fact, break section 4.1 of the FSSNTD,
 and would also violate the FHS.

	This proposal also does not have an ewasy way of transitioning
 between releases of the X WIndow system (like, release 7, or version
 12. In the current method, one may have multple copies of the X
 window system on the machine simultaneously, keepin one the default,
 and allowing others to experiment with newer version at will. Also
 allows an easy roll back by changing 3 links.

	Other reasons I can think of are compatibility with other
 Linux/UNIX systems, and backwards compatibility (replacing
 directories with symlinks maybe awkward with dpkg).

	In conclusion, I think this is a stunningly bad idea.

	manoj
 amazed that he is siding with Alex
--
 Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred, Tan me hide when I'm dead. So we
 tanned his hide when he died, Clyde, It's hanging there on the shed.