Re: python packaging questions

Eike Nicklas wrote:
> Hi Debian Python experts,
>
> I am currently trying to create Debian packages for a small python
> application I am writing. I thinks, this application is not yet ready
> for an official inclusion in Debian, but still, I have some questions
> about 'proper' packaging just out of interest:
>
> * For specifying supported Python versions, the policy recommends using
>   XS/B-Python, whereas the python-support documentation recommends
>   debian/pyversions. Which method should be used or does it not matter?
>   What when using python-central?

If you use pycentral, X[SB]-Python-Version. If you use pysupport you can use
either, but I'd go for XS-Python-Version for consistency (pysupport will
generate debian/pyversions at build time).

> * Which value should the XS-Python-Version field have to ensure easy
>   transitions of future Python versions? I tried using 'all', but then
>   my (binary) package depended for example on python2.3-gtk2,
>   python2.4-gtk2 and python2.5-gtk2. Does that mean that all those
>   packages will be installed or are those only virtual packages to ease
>   future transitions?

Since this is an application and not a module, I'd go with >= 2.X, but there
might be a better way of handling this.

> * In debian/control: The python-support docs recommend using
>   'Depends: ${python:Depends}' and then specifying the dependencies on
>   other python modules in 'Python-Depends'. Should this method also be
>   used with python-central or should then all the dependencies be
>   specified in 'Depends'?

That's a feature of python-support, so you need to specify the dependencies in
Depends if you use python-central.

> Thanks for your help,

Hope this is helpful. And to the subscribers, please correct me if I'm wrong
with something :)

Cheers,
Emilio